Saturday 25 September 2010

Southern Comfort, Rand & Holland, and Songs at the Excelsior Hotel (Surry Hills), 17/09/10

I have been really bad/lazy with this 'blogging' thing since I got back to Australia, so apologies to the myriad of invisible and dedicated followers (ha!). This show was well over a week ago and I didn't even take any real photos - it was a great show but sold out and a kind of strange mix of people. Really, I didn't want to battle my way to the front of the sweltering Excelsior and flash in everyone's eyes, and just wanted to enjoy Songs so that I did.

Southern Comfort (this is Harriet and Angie from Circle Pit) are kind of jangly blues I guess, just 2 guitars (and tambourine at this show) with both girls singing. It was pretty decent. Rand and Holland are pretty good, the drummer is from The Garbage and the Flowers. I'm not really going to go into anything else about the other bands because I was really only there to see Songs. I'll make no secret of the fact that their record Songs gets played an exorbitant amount in my house and they've always been one of my favourite bands to see live. This was the last Sydney show with the current line-up as 2 members are leaving, so who knows what the band will morph into. What I love about Songs is that they play exactly that - good songs. Dual boy/girl harmonies, Flying Nun-esque guitars and wonderful psychedelic moments. The songs on the album flow together seamlessly and I kind of wish they would have just played the whole thing in full, but I really can't complain as it was excellent as is. A video of them playing 'Clouds' can be found here.





http://www.myspace.com/518634114 (Southern Comfort)
http://www.myspace.com/randandholland
http://www.myspace.com/ssongsssongs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers

About Me

My photo
A lackadaisical photo blog of bands I sometimes see. Feel free to use them (even better if you can link them, too).
free counters